Along with applications recombinant DNA technology has disadvantages also which are as follows:
1. Antibiotic resistant genes are used as marker gene for identifying transformed cells. This has given rise to antibiotic resistance human pathogens.
2. Insect resistant plants produce certain chemicals which are harmful for insects. By repeated growing of such plants causes resistant insects. It is possible because exposure to long term may cause mutation in insects.
3. Many ethical issues have been raised regarding the use of transgenic animals as animal model and genetically modified food by animal rights organizations.
4. Genetically modified organism (plants or animals) can interbreed with natural organisms and contaminate natural environment with loss of natural flora and fauna. Also the result of such interbreed is unpredictable and is matter of concern.
5. Resistance of people to genetically modified foods. People don’t like to eat foods which have been genetically altered.