In a female, luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone FSH stimulate secretion of estrogen and progesterone from the ovaries.
- Estrogens are female sex hormones. Indeed both sex hormones estrogen & testosterone are steroids and are responsible for several changes of puberty in women.
- Regulates female secondary sex characteristics in women including pubic & underarm hair and fat distribution.
- At the time of puberty it stimulates the growth of uterus & vagina.
- It is necessary for egg maturation
- Causes growth of uterine lining
- When the levels of estrogen reaches a peak, the anterior pituitary gland releases LH and LH causes ovulation in female.
- Increases protein build-up